This Code of Ethics outlines the essentials of responsible behavior for Gordon Setter owners and potential breeders,
whose foremost aim should be the welfare of their dogs and of the breed.
Members of the Gordon Setter Club of America, Inc. (GSCA) agree to abide by the clubs Constitution,
which in Article II defines some of the objectives of the club as follows: to encourage and promote
quality in the breeding of pure bred black and tan Gordon Setters and to do all possible to bring their natural
qualities to perfection; . . . to urge members to accept the standard of the breed as approved by the American
Kennel Club as the only standard of excellence by which Gordon Setters shall be judged, and to do all in its power
to protect and advance the interests of the Gordon Setter.
In addition, GSCA members agree to:
- Comply with all American Kennel Club requirements and regulations.
- Maintain their dogs in a healthy and clean condition, providing regular veterinary care, proper nutrition
and housing, appropriate social experience, and regular exercise in a safe area.
- Behave in a sportsmanlike manner and not deliberately disparage other owners, exhibitors or breeders,
or their dogs.
- Breed only with the intention of improving the breed, planning each litter with this goal in mind, using
parents of appropriate qualities in relation to the official standard and description of
the breed, physical soundness, and temperament. Before producing a litter, breeders
will consider proper placement of puppies they cannot keep.
- Recognize, when breeding a litter, that they have a responsibility to provide for the welfare of all dogs
bred by them for the lifetime of those dogs in the event that an owner can no longer care
for a dog.
- Sell Gordon Setters, permit stud service, and lease studs or bitches only to individuals who give satisfactory
evidence that they are in accord with this Code of Ethics.
- Not sell or consign Gordon Setters to commercial breeders, retailers, or research laboratories, nor supply
dogs for raffles, prizes, auctions or other such projects.
- When advertising, state only facts; not offer Gordon Setters at bargain prices, or in any way encourage raising
Gordon Setters as a money-making enterprise.
- Members may state in advertising, Member of the Gordon Setter Club of America.
Copyright 2005 Gordon Setter Club of America, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Comments, suggestions or reports of dead links are always appreciated.
Please e-mail these to the